An exercise to pull together detailed recommendations on the integrated security priorities of workshop participants for organisations, movements and supporting bodies.
Group exercise to develop recommendations and discussion.
- to identify and develop key recommendations for organisations and movements on specific aspects of safety and well-being of women human rights defenders.
Flipchart paper and marker pens.
Key explanation points:
- begin with a brainstorm on specific priority themes that participants want to develop to take back to their organisations and movements;
- break into groups of four (three if there is enough time) and develop the recommendations from the brainstorm into specific steps that should be taken to implement them; and
- take each step, and answer each of the following questions:
- What can you/your organisation do to implement this recommendation step?
- What can your network/movement do to implement this recommendation step?
- What can international organisations do to implement this recommendation step?
Recommendation: address the threat of sexual and gender-based violence against women human rights defenders in the region
|Recommendation steps||What can you or your organisation do to implement the recommendation?||What can your network/ movement do to implement the recommendation?||What can international organisations do to implement the recommendation?|
|Self-defence training (physical and legal preparation)||Organise training: conduct a needs assessment; choose trainers; select locations; prepare modules||Exchange of experience Participation in trainings||Financial support Experience in self-defence training|
|Legal preparation Information on the laws protecting victims of violence||Information meetings, booklets, pamphlets, menstrual calendars (with information on the back), television and radio programmes, work with the media||Preparation and dissemination of information||Make use of international experience|
|Activate human rights network, support group, hospital||Legal support (contact a pro bono lawyer) Acquire information on hotlines||Provide information||Moral support Rapid response|
|Gather all evidence/ documentation to bring to court||Lawyers for defence Psychological support||Moral support Psycho-social Rehabilitation||Help to influence court decision Support rehabilitation process Prevention funds for lawyers and social workers etc.|
|Rehabilitation for the family||Visits to the activists’ family (to give psychological and moral support)||Provide bulletins on legal protection to violence survivors|